Friday, July 10, 2009

Breastfeeding Difficulties

So, I have a baby girl named Hannah who is almost 8 months old, who just has been refusing to breastfeed for the last two days. I have no idea what's going on, but it is sooo frustrating! It seems like she just woke up yesterday, and decided she was done with me! She never nursed at all yesterday, and by that night she was so irritable. So we gave her some expressed milk through a syringe just to give her a little. She fell asleep, and then woke up this morning very hungry. So I tried and tried all morning, until we were both just beyond upset. I really felt like she might be getting dehydrated, so I got desperate. I had some formula on hand, so I made up a little and she sucked it right down! This is strange because we've never been able to get her to take a bottle. So she really must have been desperate for anything. And now she just took another bottle, after I tried nursing.

I really, really wanted to try and make it to a year, but I can't make her eat when she won't. I'm not giving up just yet. The only problem is I have to keep pumping or I won't be able to keep up with her. I really loathe pumping!

So, if anyone has any suggestions..I will definitely listen!

1 comment:

  1. Sorry you're having trouble! Pumping is not fun at all, but keep it up if you are still trying to nurse so your supply wont go down. Is she teething?? I would just be persistent and try and nurse her when she is real hungry and in a calm atmosphere with just you and her. I've heard of some babies going through a phase of refusing for a few days and the moms just keep trying and then they go right back to it.

    ReplyDelete